Interview with Gavin Lee
Class of 07S52
Head Coach, Tampines Rovers FC
Gavin Lee is the youngest head coach in the Singapore football league. Since taking the helm in 2018, Tampines Rovers FC has been crowned the 2019 Singapore Cup Champions, 2020 Community Shield Champions and 2020 Singapore Premier League Runners Up.
1. What is 1 life lesson you learnt in your JC years, that shaped the person you are today?
Gavin: When the going gets tough, just keep going. It's the small difficult steps that matter most.
2. What is your fondest memory of VJC?
Gavin: Playing at home for our A division soccer games will probably be the fondest memory. Having the home support and hearing the cheers while we were playing on the field will always remain very special.
3. If you could go back in time, what would you say to encourage your younger JC self?
Gavin: On many occasions, it may seem impossible to push through. But there will always be support to lean on, and you are tougher than you realise.
4. Where’s your fave hangout spot in VJC, and why?
Gavin: The ‘loft’ where the football team gather and hang out. Being around like-minded people, who share the same ups and downs is always a source of comfort.
5. What was your most challenging experience in VJC, and how did you overcome it?
Gavin: Preparing for the A levels was definitely the most intense experience. Consulting and leaning on my teachers definitely helped me through many of the doubts that I had.
6. In your opinion, what is unique about the VJC experience?
Gavin: The camaraderie with my peers was special. The support from the teachers and non-teaching staff was very nice too.
7. Name one person you met at VJC (could be a schoolmate or teacher or coach, canteen staff etc) and why you’ll never forget him / her.
Gavin: Mr Tan Yew Hwee. He's the man that got me through VJ and the same man who still provides a lot of support and advice even after graduating.
8. If you could use only one word to describe VJC, what would this word be?